New ReplayLIGHTNING diagnostic portal leverages ReplayDIRECTOR application record/replay to deliver “first responder” defect data to operations, QA and development
Replay Solutions (www.replaysolutions.com), the leader in application monitoring and diagnostics, today announced the ReplayLIGHTNING application diagnostics portal, the latest member of the ReplayDIRECTOR family of Java application recording and replay products. As a fully integrated, interactive analytics front end to the application record/replay functionality of ReplayDIRECTOR, the product is designed for the agile development and DevOps environment where response time is critical and collaboration is essential for finding, communicating and fixing code defects, performance and security issues.
The company also announced ReplayCONTROL, a set of open APIs that can be used by any application profiler, diagnostic or APM solution to add ‘time machine’-like execution replay functionality to their solution either in traditional on-premise installations or via cloud platform services.
ReplayLIGHTNING: Real Time, Interactive Execution Analytics and Performance Profiling
ReplayLIGHTNING delivers highly actionable application execution data directly into the Eclipse IDE and a variety of Web dashboards. With ReplayLIGHTNING activated, development, test, operations and support have instant access to:
- A time-based, dynamically configurable “radar screen” that summarizes critical execution event types such as CPU and memory utilization, log generation, exceptions, transactions, database calls, etc.
- An integrated list of all execution events within a specific time period
- Drill-down filtering to reveal the root cause of software issues
- Rapid visual identification of performance bottlenecks and slowdowns at the source code level
- Instant code coverage reporting that pinpoints complex code hotspots
- Fully automated software defect documentation that can be integrated with defect tracking systems such as HP ALM 11, IBM Rational Team Concert and Microsoft Team Foundation Server.
“Lifecycle virtualization technology enables organizations to be more productive and break the silos of development, QA, and Operations,” said Theresa Lanowitz, founder of Voke. “Replay Solutions offers organizations modern solutions to easily identify the root cause of defects and delivers on demand diagnostic tools and information to help eradicate the most elusive defects. ReplayLIGHTNING extends the power of ReplayDIRECTOR to all constituents in the application lifecycle delivering mission critical information to improve overall application performance and quality.”
Using Real Time Diagnostic Data to Navigate Execution Recordings
Replay LIGHTNING is also the “window” into the deep execution diagnostics provided by the ReplayDIRECTOR application record and replay functionality. The ReplayLIGHTNING data can be used to generate “diagnostic probes” (much like data mining probes) to go back in time to request additional execution information within a specific time window from the ReplayDIRECTOR recording. Examples of the deep diagnostic actions that ReplayLIGHTNING can initiate are:
- Automated Defect Discovery. ReplayLIGHTNING observes application events looking for potential issues such as exceptions, error logs or timeouts. These are captured and linked to source code, allowing developers to jump directly to the line of code where the problem occurred.
- Event Amplification and Filtering. Many applications at best produce minimal event output such as logs because of the overhead of generating and capturing truly debug-level data. Event Amplification allows data such as debug-level logs, exceptions, and database calls to be collected on replay as if they had been originally captured.
- Memory Leak Locater. Unlike traditional memory leak detectors, ReplayLIGHTNING will identify the exact point in source code where object memory leaks begin, thus providing the context (e.g. database call, transaction, etc.) in which the leaked object was used. This unique ability eliminates guess work in memory leak detection by exposing the precise location and context for all memory leaks.
Replay CONTROL Opens Record/Replay APIs for Cloud or On-premise Access to Source-level Diagnostics
ReplayLIGHTNING is a showcase for a new set of open APIs, called ReplayCONTROL, which are now available to third party profiler, diagnostic and APM tools providing record/replay functionality to their solutions. Functions accessible via ReplayCONTROL include:
- Starting / Stopping Recording
- Event Amplification
- Enabling Deep Data Collection
- Search and Bookmarking
“ReplayLIGHTNING is a major expansion in the applicability and diagnostic value of ReplayDIRECTOR,” said Larry Lunetta, president and CEO, Replay Solutions. “Not only are we offering the power of instantly available application execution information combined with deep source-level diagnostics, our ReplayCONTROL APIs open up application record/replay functionality to the entire ecosystem of software monitoring and management, including cloud platform services.”
ReplayLIGHTNING will be available Oct 31, 2011 for the Java EE platform. Additional platforms such as .NET, Ruby, and PHP will be supported in 2012.
About Replay Solutions
Replay Solutions reduces the time, labor and capital required to communicate, find and fix even the most difficult application defects by pinpointing the root cause of any issue with 100% accuracy. With its family of ReplayDIRECTOR™ products, the company offers the industry’s only instruction-level continuous application recording and replay solution, enabling enterprise application teams to be more productive by taking the guesswork out of defect resolution in development, test, and production environments. Headquartered in Redwood City, California, the company was founded in 2004 and is backed by Hummer Winblad, Partech Ventures, Sigma Partners and Pelion Venture Partners. For more information, please visit www.replaysolutions.com.
Kickstart for Replay Solutions